Physical Education Department
Students will build on and embed the physical development and skills learned in key stage 2, become more competent, confident and expert in their techniques, and apply them across different sports and physical activities. They will understand what makes a performance effective and how to apply these principles to their own and others' work. They will be given opportunities to develop the confidence and interest to get involved in exercise, sports and activities both in and out of school and in later life, and understand and apply the long-term health benefits of physical activity.
The department's key aims and objectives are to challenge students to develop character traits such as resilience, self-esteem, empathy, co-operation, ability to respond to positive criticism and to develop a knowledge, ability and desire to be active for life by:-
- using a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby and tennis]
- developing their techniques and improve their performance in other competitive sports [for example, athletics and gymnastics]
- performing dances using advanced dance techniques within a range of dance styles and forms
- analysing their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- taking part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.