Welcome to Chenderit’s Governing Board page
Chenderit’s governing board provides strategic leadership and accountability for the school. It has three key functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure our money is well spent
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
Chenderit’s governors and trustees set the aims and objectives for the school and set the policies and targets for achieving those aims and objectives. We monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making and act as a source of challenge and support to the headteacher. In action, this means:
- Approving budgets and deciding how money is spent
- Engaging with pupils, staff, parents and the school community
- Addressing a range of education issues within the school including disadvantaged pupils, pupils with special needs, staff workload and teacher recruitment
- Looking at data and evidence to ask questions and have challenging conversations about the school
- Sitting on panels and making decisions about things like pupil exclusions and staff disciplinary
- Appointing and performance reviewing the head teacher, including making decisions about pay
All Chenderit governors and trustees adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership. Chenderit’s governors and trustees are also committed to their role and to young people; confident in having courageous conversations; curious with an enquiring mind; able to challenge the status quo to improve things; collaborative to build strong relationships; critical to improve their own work and that of the board; and creative in problem solving and being innovative.
Being a school governor or trustee is a challenging but hugely rewarding role. If you would like the opportunity to make a real difference to the young people of Chenderit School, give something back to your local community and use and develop your skills in a board-level environment, please contact Mrs Jo Davies firstname.lastname@example.org (01295 711567 ext 216) in the first instance. We are particularly keen to hear from people who have experience and expertise in the following fields: finance, human resources, legal, marketing and public relations, property and estates management, organisational change and education.
Mr Ian Walker
Chair of Governors